I finally did it.
After over four years of bunny suits, graveyard shifts, short weekends and transpacific travels, I am leaving Silicon Valley. I am finally moving on. Demanding 10-hour-minimum-work-days and the frustrating drop-all-your-weekend-plans-we-don’t-care-about-your-personal-life attitude have taken all the fun out of doing research. I am just so burned out.
For too long I’ve been afraid of leaving my job and giving up my paycheck. Wait a few more years, I kept on telling myself. But the more I waited the more I got frustrated about how much my life revolved around my job. Dennis and I even moved out of the city, for crying out loud, so that we can live closer to my work but soon realized that life didn’t get any better. It was not all about the money. Clearly, I was not happy. Clearly, it was time to move on, take the plunge and pursue my passion.
I cannot tell you enough how much I am excited about this change. I have so many plans and I am bursting with so many ideas. I know it’s not going to be easy. Change is never easy. Starting over is never easy. But all this is not foreign to me since I have been through big changes before in my life. Perhaps, the biggest one so far was when I decided to leave home and start a new life here in California eleven years ago. It was difficult. But looking back I’m so glad that I took the risk and did it. I’m so amazed at how much I have learned and how much I have grown through the years.
Dennis gave me this very thoughtful card, which reads, “Today is the first day of the rest of your life.” I just cannot wait to see what the rest of my life would be like.
I want Jun-blog!Jun Belen is the voice behind Jun-blog, a mouthwatering and heart-warming journal of Filipino home cooking nominated for Best Culinary Blog by the IACP. Subscribe to Jun-Blog and receive new posts by email.
- How to Make Coconut Jam Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies
- How to Make Sago and Gulaman Coolers
- How to Make Bagoong Fried Rice
- How to Make Chop Suey
- How to Make Daing na Bangus
- W is for Wansoy and How to Make Chicken Mami
- How to Make Pork Asado Siopao (Steamed Pork Buns)
- How to Make Gambas Al Ajillo (Garlic Shrimp)
- How to Make Taho (Silken Tofu with Sago Pearls and Brown Sugar Syrup)
- How to Make Oven-Roasted Kalua Pork
- How to Make Ginataang Bilo-Bilo (Sticky Rice Dumplings in Coconut Milk)
- Happy 2013 from Jun-blog!